Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Pesto

I could eat pesto 3 times a day. I shouldn't, but I could. It's rich and bright and gives you really bad breath. Traditional pesto includes basil, pine nuts, and pecorino romano cheese, just to name a few ingredients. Do you know how expensive pine nuts are? What about basil when it isn't in season? I do, and its more than a girl like me can afford but I refuse to live without pesto so I compromise and improvise. I learned that you can use other greens in lieu of basil and less expensive nuts to replace the pine nuts. I usually make it vegan which also saves me some money but i'll offer both versions of the recipe here.


Vegan Pesto, Improvised
3 packed cups of spinach or arugula, or a combination of both
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 cup walnut pieces
roughly 2 tablespoons of olive oil to bring it all together
2 heaping tablespoons of nutritional yeast

In a strong blender or food processor pulse together the greens, garlic, and nuts. Add the nutritional yeast and olive oil and blend until its a consistency that you like. I like mine less chunky and more smooth. If you like chunks, that's cool. Taste- adjust with salt and pepper if you desire.


If you eat dairy or just don't know what the hell nutritional yeast is then use this version.

Pesto, Improvised
3 packed cups of spinach or arugula, or a combination of both
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 cup walnut pieces
1/4 C parmesan cheese (shaved or shredded is fine)
roughly 2 tablespoons of olive oil to bring it all together


In a strong blender or food processor pulse together the greens, garlic, and nuts. Add the cheese and olive oil and blend until its a consistency that you like. Taste- adjust with salt and pepper.




Eat this on crackers, toss with pasta, dip carrots in it, dip your finger in it.
Enjoy!

2 comments:

Angie said...

I should bring you some pine nuts they sell them here really cheap! There is a grocery store that sells them in bulk its my new favorite!

christine said...

I read this before, and once again was browsing through my blog feed thinking "I'm hungry" I am totally going to make the vegan version at some point this weekend... mmmmmmm :) I LOVE PESTO

I never thought of using other greens. Brilliant.